1. Style

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Most Emailed Articles

Baby Word Scramble

Please Don't Wear Socks With Sandals

By June 17, 2007

It happened just the other day, I was in my car and saw a guy walking down the street wearing socks with his sandals. I wanted to slam on my breaks and say something but then he would have thought I was the crazy one. Who decided socks with sandals was okay in the first place? Living in the Northwest, I am unfortunately faced with some of the worst offenders of this major fashion don't. This is the number one fashion don't in my article 8 Men's Fashion Mistakes to Avoid. But you decide, cast your vote in this poll.

Comments

June 27, 2007 at 3:43 pm
(1) Robert W says:

God yes….Daniel you said it and I have been saying it for a long time. Going over the fact that I consider sandals ugly and unflattering on almost anybody….wearing socks with them just makes the person repugnant in my eyes….I can overlook the old people doing it since they don’t care about their looks and so..but people younger than 50….god..I’ve stopped some people on the street and told them you don’t do it and I got the crazy look..lol! Looking forward to reading your future tips! Rock on!

January 6, 2008 at 12:31 pm
(2) Willard Marsh says:

Hey, I like wearing socks and sandals. They make my feet feel really comfortable. I have even started a Socks ‘N Sandals Club for men. I agree with the rest of your suggestions, though, and I’m over 50.
W.M.
socksnsandalsclub.webhop.org

January 13, 2009 at 7:08 pm
(3) Johnny V says:

Like a lot things in life, there’s gray. For outdoorsy types like myself, wearing socks with sandals is just pratical and comfortable and in the outdoors, that equals stylish. Don’t confuse showing up at a business meeting with hanging around the campfire at the beach. Plus one big added bonus of socks with sandals. Less stink! Having said that, sandals and knee socks? No! Never! But sandals with some cool cycling socks or some low-cut wooly hiker socks! You Betcha. What says Northwest outdoor hipster like wooly grays and Birkenstocks. Rock on!

February 12, 2009 at 6:36 pm
(4) Haywood says:

Man! I completely agree with not wearing socks with sandals. In fact, I found it such a fashion faux pas that after watching a co worker walk into a meeting at my company wearing them with slacks I just had to see iof there was anything worse on the internet. Still searching….

April 11, 2009 at 10:54 am
(5) H.B. says:

A friend of mine wears black socks with his black sandals which have only a few narrow openings. The first time I saw him in them I mistook them for shoes.
Some sandals are so much more comfortable to wear than shoes in terms of shape and weight and breathable-ness.
Can you find a pair of shoes which are equivalent to, say Hush Puppies Asea, for the platform and material?

May 4, 2009 at 6:21 pm
(6) Korben Dallas says:

For some reason the issue of “socks and sandals” has become the most poular way for utterly ignotant people to demonstrate that they also have what they think is the sense of fashion. Most of the time they only embarass themselves in the end.

On the actual issue: firstly, no, you should NOT wear socks with sandals. However, everyone knows what socks is, but not many people know what sandals is. The main requirement of the “sandal” is to have an open toe, open heel and cover a relatively small percentage of the foot surface. These are the sandals that should alswas be worn on a naked foot.

Now, secondly, if your shoe has a closed toe and a closed heel, then regardless of what you call this shoe, the socks are always unconditionally required. There are no exceptions to this rule. Even if your shoes are called “fisherman sandals” (i.e. they are supposedly “sandals”), since they always have a closed toe and cover the large percentage of the foot area, the socks are always required with these shoes (also see below). Another example might be so called “dress sandals” with closed toe and closed hell, which can only be worn with socks, never on a naked foot.

Thirdly, some models of so called “fishermans sandals” combine an open heel with a closed toe. This is a borderline case. It is perfectly OK to wear these shoes with socks, and it is more-or-less OK to wear them without socks.

Just be aware that when wearing the closed “sandals” in the proper way – with socks, when required – might expose you to the ridicule of the ignorant crowd.

May 9, 2009 at 7:11 am
(7) Christian vdB says:

Socks with sandals is a practicality thing. Those of us whose feet sweat more than others need an intermediary layer to stop our footwear chafing, regardless of whether this footwear is a sandal or not. If other people are so insecure as to feel the need to attack others based on their appearance, that’s their problem.

May 16, 2009 at 4:26 am
(8) erick says:

I wear socks and sandals and i love it!! i mean what’s the matter with you people i bet you have never done it, but if you do i swear you’ll change your mind, wearing sandals and socks is sooo comfortable, i have wide feet and closed shoes give me hell, but sandals make me feel in heaven, sandals usually harm naked feet…. but socks come to the rescue :) sure is preferable to wear short socks, feel free and dont be intimidated by silly people, dont let fashion dominate you, get some control over your life

May 19, 2009 at 12:39 pm
(9) Eric says:

Just because someone in New York says I shouldn’t wear socks with sandals doesn’t mean I’m not going to. Who makes these silly rules anyway? Comfort and practically are a lot more important than what the judgmental types seem to think.

July 1, 2009 at 6:56 pm
(10) The Leaper Forward says:

Thanks for all comments.. I think carefully chosen socks can go neatly with a smart looking sandal in term of being comfortable and stylish..If some folks think that “sandals and socks” shouldn’t cherish the moment altogether, many others have an other argument I believe … Fashion rules are relative…

July 1, 2009 at 8:47 pm
(11) billu says:

Just googled the phrase “socks over sandals” after reading a personal, where one of the criteria was no sandals with socks. What the heck. Can’t seem to fathom whats wrong with it. I do it all the time because my feet sweat a lot, so the presence of socks make wearing sandals comfortable, plus there is less stink. Finally my feet remain cleaner than they would be if totally exposed. Plus I get the benefit of comfortableness of sandals. So fashion no no or fashion yes yes, to hell with the nay sayer ….

July 24, 2009 at 1:43 pm
(12) Alice says:

I think those who complain about socks and sandals never really spend much time outdoors. For all outdoorsy folks, socks with sandals is the most comfortable thing to wear. I am a girl, and I also do wear socks with sandals!!

October 4, 2009 at 8:08 pm
(13) loogu says:

This could be shortened to ‘Don’t wear sandals”

If you are going to wear sandals at all though, please wear socks. Nobody wants to see/smell your bare feet in public!

October 8, 2009 at 10:59 pm
(14) Just a Person says:

Since when is it a “fashion” to walk around in public with your feet sticking out?

October 16, 2009 at 12:46 pm
(15) Peter says:

Get over it! Why should you care so much if a guy wears socks and sandals? I think it’s sexy ; )

October 21, 2009 at 9:41 am
(16) DA says:

My question is who decided socks with sandals was wrong in the first place? Sure, some sandals look retarded with socks, but I have a pair that works nicely with them. I say people shouldn’t invent generalizing rules for what works and what doesn’t. I say if an isolated get-up looks good, it works. If it doesn’t, it doesn’t.

October 28, 2009 at 2:24 pm
(17) Br. Joe says:

Those who believe men especially should not wear sandals should remember that some men don’t always have a clear choice. The Rule of the Order states plainly: “Shoes are forbiden by the Rule and may be worn only in case of necessity, for these, sandals are substituted and the feet are bare. (So much for socks!) Consequently, I’m usually in very “open” sandals on otherwise bare feet when, quite frankly, I’d rather be wearing shoes and socks. Fortunately the sandals are custom made and are physically quite comfortable if somewhat psychologically discomfiting. I’d rather not have my feet so exposed, but it’s part of the “contract” and is considered an “occupational hazard.” We can’t always have things the way we’d prefer. As some people mentioned, the appearance of the sandal wearer’s feet can be an issue, so those who wear sandals whether by fiat or choice should obviously practice a proper foot care regimen –lord knows there are enough products available! (This couldn’t hurt those who are fully shod either.) Most people are particular about the parts of their bodies hat are exposed, it should be no different with feet. With sandals worn on bare feet, the feet should be clean, free from dry cracked or rough skin, nails should also be clean, fungus free, and properly trimmed. It’s certainly become more common and acceptable for men to get pedicures which can give a guy a good basis for future maintenance. This could ameliorate some of the negativity that some harbor about sandal wearing in general. So even if I am self conscious wearing barefoot sandals, my well tended feet should not offend anyone else.

December 25, 2009 at 5:32 am
(18) Mike Tyson says:

I think it’s ok to wear socks with sandals, I wear them myself and I even feel better with socks because it’s very unpleasant and uncomfortable when bear feet touch sandals directly. Anyway, men, just be natural and wear what you feel comfortable in! Clothes in reality are such a tiny detail in your identity because it’s your character that makes you what you are!

December 27, 2009 at 11:26 pm
(19) Haein Lee says:

Sandals do not mix with any sock.

December 31, 2009 at 4:40 pm
(20) Uncle Al says:

I really like wearing white socks with my Teva sandals. They’re very comfortable and perfect for cool northern California winter wear. I also wear Salomon Amphibian vented shoes when out and about. I enjoy free and airy feeling feet wherever I am.
Yep… I’m over 50. And… Daniel, my cars and bikes all stop when I apply the brakes (not breaks).

February 21, 2010 at 9:11 am
(21) Gramps says:

The Brother (above) has the idea. He isn’t supposed to wear socks with his sandals and admits he feels self-conscious wearing sandals, but because he must and his sandals really expose his feet, he “mans up” wear his sandals as he should and shows his humility and does the proper thing by taking proper care of his feet.

March 12, 2010 at 4:26 pm
(22) Senior Guy says:

Gramps has nailed it. If men wear sandals on bare feet–
which is how they’re intended to be worn–they should also “man up” to take proper care of their feet. There is nothing especially masculine about poor hygiene and sloppy personal appearance nor is it unmasculine to take care of one’s appearance including feet–even if they’re never exposed in sandals, they’ll be exposed at some time.

Although the pro-socks guys here offer many reasons for their preference, a big part of it was also noted by gramps citing an earlier post–simple self consciousness about having their bare feet exposed other than in venues where it’s the norm. It seems to make some men feel exposed (in the larger sense) and vulnerable, so for whatever reason they’re wearing sandals, they still feel the need to “cover up.”

This would appear to be the purview of an older group of men given the ubiquity of flip-flops on younger men who don’t seem fazed about the matter and most of whom appear to practice at least basic proper foot care and there are even those who actually get pedicures.

If socks with sandals are contrarian and “funny” looking, socks with flip-flops are ludicrous.

March 13, 2010 at 3:07 am
(23) Big Red says:

With warmer weather on the way, this topic will be topical once again. Suffice it to say, as gramps and Senior Guy point out, that if men in particular wear sandals on bare feet, they should have the consideration and the chutzpah to take care of their feet. A nail brush, clippers, pumice, lotion, and a few minutes will generally serve the purpose. For those that can’t be bothered, keep the socks on. Of course it looks nerdy, but there’s no need for others to take offense.

March 15, 2010 at 5:39 am
(24) Hubby Dearest says:

Not being a fan of sandals,, I’d never worn them until Wifey Dearest got me a pair of quite expensive, made to order leather sandals “to wear when out and event and weather are conducive. So being expected to wear them I gamely gave it a few tries. I can certainly attest and relate to the selfconsciousness mentioned in a couple other postings above. Frankly, I found it oddly discomfiting having most of my feet exposed even though my feet were properly “groomed” and pesentable.

When I mentioned that perhaps socks would alleviate my possibly irrational reaction, I was shot down by all concerned, even by other guys who don’t wear sandals at least not in public, and many probably not at home either. It seems it’s considered the height of nerd-like fuddy-duddyness as well extremely poor raste and an outrage to fashionsta sensibilities, Well, I don’ get uptight about fashion or fashionista sensibilites. I’m somewhat more converned and my sensibilites and feelings self-consciousness and being somehow “exposed.” They might be silly, but their mine. Right?

Yet faced with such massive disapproval of my socks proposal, I “manned up” as “gramps” recommends in his above post and went sockless a couple more times. All to no avail because despite the “manning up” it was still a no go.

So you sandals and socks guys out there, ‘fess up. Is the reason, maybe a good part or even a small part, you like socks with sandals not because of poor foot care, but because you also feel self-conscious wearing them on bare feet? A lot? Somewhat. Even a tiny bit? There’s couple of us who’ve copped to it. The rest of you coing to leave us out in the cold? The cold that calls out for shoes and socks or at least socks with sandals.

April 2, 2010 at 9:52 am
(25) Anon says:

Brakes*

April 9, 2010 at 11:34 am
(26) Ken says:

Seems like the socks with sandals thing is much more a guy thing. Other than perhaps the “hip-hop – flip-flop” generation, most guys are not accustomed to having their bare feet exposed in sandals and have not been concerned about foot care. They may go sockless in loafers, deck shoes, sneakers but not in sandals. Apparently the socks provide relief from the self-conscious feelings they experience wearing sandals on bare feet.

May 4, 2010 at 10:23 pm
(27) Nida says:

Unless your sandals are made out of wood or grass, wear some god damn socks with them. Good hygiene or not, unless you’re wiping them down/cleaning them throughout the entire day, you’re still sweating and it’s accumulating. The rest of us don’t want to have to hear the wet thwacking of your feet or catch a whiff of the smell that arises after a couple hours *shudders*

May 9, 2010 at 5:35 pm
(28) Jonathan says:

Aboe comment is a typically ignorant over reaction since open sandals worn without socks allow any perspiration to evapaorate. Perhaps she’s thinking of synthetic flip-flops that have been worn in the water. Although flip-flops are categorized as sandals, the focus of the debate seemed to be more about other styles of sandals.

May 11, 2010 at 8:16 pm
(29) Kevin says:

Whenever someone tells me I shouldn’t wear my socks with sandals, I simply say “Why”?

They never have an answer.

That simply proves to me that they are only saying it because they can’t think for themselves and are just parroting what others told them to think. If you can’t explain WHY you say something, then don’t say it.

As for why I DO wear socks with sandals, I can list many reasons. Comfort. Prevent blisters caused by rubbing against the sandal bindings, socks absorb foot sweat instead of the sandals so my sandals don’t develop a nasty odor over time, etc.

As for why I wear sandals, I have size 10 triple E width feet. Normal shoes are usually to narrow at the toe. Sandals are much more comfortable, and much easier for me to slip off while sitting at my desk, etc.

So to all the pseudo fashion snobs, I say “get a life”.

May 11, 2010 at 8:20 pm
(30) Kevin says:

Oh, to Jonathan, most feet sweat most on the BOTTOM of the feet. The part that is contact with the absorbent leather (or worse some rubber) soles of the sandal.

I can attest that if I stop wearing socks with my sandals and instead go bare foot, the sandals will reek within a week.

I’m not about to start spraying antiperspirants on the soles of my feet just to satisfy some misguided person’s fashion sensibilities.

May 15, 2010 at 11:58 am
(31) Jonathon says:

Oh, to Kevin, know what you’re saying, but my leather sandals have a leather lined insole which does not cause my soles to sweat like a pair of synthetic Tevas does. With the leather insole there is no sweat or odor even if worn everyday. Both styles are very “open” but while the synthetic Tevas do cause sweat and odor, there is no problem with the leather sandals. I don’t know why this is so, but it is.

June 7, 2010 at 8:23 pm
(32) tekmatch says:

I understand some of the points made about the feet sweating at the bottom of the sandals. Ok. Dr. Scholls makes plenty of soles for that purpose. I still say that many men don’t like wearing their feet out. I went on the socks n sandals website and underneath the socks I saw many a unclipped toe nail, hammer toes and bunions.

July 14, 2010 at 6:08 pm
(33) Toe Shame says:

Sorry, but you don’t get to tell people what they can and can’t wear. I can’t wear sandals with my toes exposed because I have toenail fungus. Pills are not a good option because they can be damaging to the liver, especially over the length of time you have to take them. Topical solutions don’t work for me. So, I don’t care if you don’t like my socks, at least I have cool feet and you don’t have to look at my awful toenails. People with severe calluses, hammer toe, bunions and other maladies also might night want to expose them to prying eyes and yet be able to wear sandals which are cooler in the hot summer.

July 18, 2010 at 7:28 pm
(34) Floyd Golden says:

OK here is my conclusion, I have a couple pair of teva Dozer, when I were them to work I wear socks. at home no socks and these are closed toe and closed heal. and I’m under 50! I say what ever makes you happy do it regardless what people think.

July 31, 2010 at 10:15 am
(35) SCAATY says:

Kevin: Right on. I’ve never heard a good reason why wearing socks with sandals is such a fashion tragedy. But maybe people who actually care about being “fashionable” do so at such a primal gut level that they actually can’t give a reason…the existence of their universe depends on some things never being questioned. A little sad, actually.

I’m old enough to have sensibly given up on trying to look “cool”. If someone thinks I look like a dork with any of my clothing choices, so what?

July 31, 2010 at 7:48 pm
(36) Ioan says:

Due to getting too much attention on the topic, and thinking a bit, now I mostly wear sandals WITHOUT socks (unless in emergency going out). Exposing my big, clean and healthy feet makes me feel better.

Socks in sandals wouldn’t work for me anyway. Due to how I walk or put on my left sandal, the sock tends to roll off as I walk, so it’s more annoying than comfy.

NOTE: by sandals I DON’T mean slippers. Sandals need to have something holding the ankle to qualify as such.

August 4, 2010 at 10:20 am
(37) Brad says:

Toeshame certainly brings up a valid point: guys with foot problems who still want to wear sandals are well advised to wear socks if they wish to keep the problem(s) to themselves. Guys whose feet are “normal” but who dislike or who feel uncomfortable about having their feet exposed–and it seems there are more than a few–would probably not opt for open sandals in the first place. The socks with sandals thing sems to look “worse” when shorts are worn and the socks are white or very dark Perhaps a “better’ look would be to wear trousers, or with shorts perhaps tan colored socks which are closer to skin tones.

In the long run, we shouldn’t be so judgmental and should realize there may be a perfectly valid reason why socks are worn with open sandals.

August 8, 2010 at 11:51 am
(38) Jonny says:

I like wearing sock and sandals why? Because I can easily even a few times a day change socks to fresh ones but I can not easily clean my sandals made of leather.
Compare your feets after one day in sandals with and without socks! You will see how dirty are streets!
Socks are not solution for the smell but separate our feets from dirt on the streets.

August 9, 2010 at 12:15 pm
(39) Jonas says:

For barefoot sandal wearers, especially guys, the important thing is proper foot care. Keep your feet clean–carry some wrapped wet wipes and use them to clean feet during the day. Start with a decent pedicure. If you’re too foot-shy to go to a professional, there are plenty of proucts and utensils available to do it yourself. Nails should be clean, properly trimmed, and a buffing doesn’t hurt. Skin should be smooth and free of callus, dry skin etc. It’ has all been sid before here, but If you don’t practice proper care of your feet, then keep the socks on, guys!

August 15, 2010 at 5:11 pm
(40) Chris says:

You are all lucky enough to have normal feet. I have never, ever, ever found a shoe that doesn’t make my overly sweaty feet become instantly soaked after putting them on, even on the coldest days. Having spent most of my life in the military, I’m simply just not willing to be uncomfortable anymore. I may put on some dress shoes when wearing a suit on rare occasions, or I may go sockless in a casual setting, but my standard business casual outfit has the most professional looking sandals I can get away with and, yes, matching dress socks.

I’m comfortable, so screw you guys :P And yes, if you pull over to ask me what the hell I’m doing, I will think you are the crazy one. And I will be correct.

August 16, 2010 at 7:57 am
(41) Gary H says:

Wow. What a debate. Some people can’t get over it – like it’s SO WRONG. Well. Who says so?

Comedians would lose money, or would have to think up some new jokes. Witty writers & social commentators would be at a loss as what to to comment on next. They may lose their jobs. If the Romans did it, it was with good reason. They were a successful race. Anyone remember the Roman Empire?

If you cast the look aside for one moment. That is one of the issues. But consider the practicality. It’s like putting your underpants on before you put your trousers on. Make sense? I wouldn’t want my sweaty crotch and wee wee drops coming into contact with my outer clothes. It’s gross. If you work twelve hour days like I do, it’s just so comfortable. You rather wear shoes for that long? How stupid is that?

Try this yourself. Instead of smelly slippers in the home, try socks with sandals in total privacy. Nobody has to know. The friendship tester – if friends & work colleagues start pulling you down because of socks with sandals, then you’re wasting your life bothering with them. Get it?

So it is practical AND comfortable for the wearer. But what about The Look? This is the area that needs the work. We need designers who can merge the sock with the sandal into a credible look that says THAT’S RIGHT.

Specially designed footwear to go with specially designed socks?

We’re waiting……

August 16, 2010 at 9:32 am
(42) Jeremy says:

Seems surprising there are so many comments on this subject and with some decidedly strong opinions.

Anyway, in a similar but different context to #17, I’m also a member of a barefoot sandal wearing “order” or more accurately, “brotherhood.” His sounds more “official” and affiliated. Our sandals are worn as a symbol of humility not as a fashion statement and are worn on bare feet with casual street clothes as well as more formal attire i.e suits. The “look” is quite different from the usual sandals with t-shirt and shorts and tends to attract a lot of notice. Consequently, there is a regular routine of foot care that is not a matter of vanity, but rather aesthetics.

What is the need many people have to pick on others even in such a basically trivial matter as this? If men with foot problems choose to keep their feet covered that needn’t be cause for concern or comment by anyone else. Some would say in that case stick to shoes, but it could well be that the reason for the socks may also make shoes uncomfortable. Also, I’d imagine that in warm weather sandals with socks are still cooler than shoes.

One “problem” I’ve noticed with sandals on bare feet is distinct tan lines from the exposure to the California sun which look like the sandal straps have been imprinted on my feet and are reminiscent of a “farmer’s tan.” I use sunblock but didn’t think of applying it to the tops of my feet. I wonder–idly–if tan lines on the feet are also controversial and a fashion faux pas? Vanity rears its head!

PS: Gary H, above mentions designer socks. What about socks designed to look like bare feet for those who can’t take the disdain?

August 17, 2010 at 6:51 am
(43) Gary H says:

Design suggestion.

Take the structure of a sandal, ie the sole and straps. Then fill in the blanks with breathable mesh fabric so it looks like a shoe.

To the onlooker it’s a smart looking shoe. For the wearer, it’s cool and comfortable all day long.

August 21, 2010 at 12:06 am
(44) Izzy says:

Dis is a farkin riot. The type of sandal makes a difference (in spite of some comments to the contrary.) If the sandal has a toe post, socks are stupid. After that it is about coverage. The more shoe material covers the foot, the more appropriate a sock ‘looks’.
If I’m walking through an airport, I’m wearing Merrells with short black socks. 80% foot coverage with heel strap. Totally appropriate and looks stylish.

August 23, 2010 at 10:18 pm
(45) Mike Casey says:

Love this post. Especially since it seems I’ve BECOME the guy in black socks and sandals. I blame…me. http://mikecasey.net/the-torch-of-fashion-dork-itude

August 24, 2010 at 2:07 pm
(46) AJAY-LA says:

Mike C.—at least the socks aren’t white!

Jeremy—was that you on Fairfax near Wilshire the other day in the black suit and sandals on bare feet?

Interesting look, guy, and it does get noticed. Nce feet, btw.

August 25, 2010 at 5:53 am
(47) Gary H says:

Well. Apparently in Finland, socks with sandals is the norm.

I am sure most people have heard of Linux. It powers the internet, and most smart phones are using it now as Android, Web OS, Bada, & Meego.

Take a look at who started Linux, and then you can vote by not using the above products. But you can still use an iPhone.

September 16, 2010 at 11:22 am
(48) sam samuels says:

As long as the socks don’t have reinforced heel or toe, don’t look like socks you would wear with shoes, sneakers, etc. Socks should be coordinated in some way with a shirt or belt or tie. I’ve been wearing Birks to work for 20 years. Wigwam used to make great single color wool socks that work well with Birks.

October 7, 2010 at 5:39 pm
(49) Gerry says:

Seriously, “who decided”? The Japanese, for one — geta (sandals) and tabi (socks) are a classic pairing for men and women alike. And as others above have already noted, many Europeans find the pairing perfectly acceptable. That said, I think a pairing like Tevas + Thorlos is acceptable, whereas slip-on Birkenstocks + white socks is only allowed if you’re, say, a Dutch biomedical researcher.

The bigger fashion no-no, in my opinion: socks and SHORTS. The combination nearly always looks terrible. If you must wear socks, wear the kind that are so low they are barely visible.

October 17, 2010 at 1:32 pm
(50) Evocati says:

There’s nothing wrong with socks and sandals. I wear this combination every other day and it’s quite common among some of my personal acquaintances.

November 1, 2010 at 3:22 pm
(51) d.t. says:

let me see if im getting this right? its o.k. for women to wear sandals without socks but not for men? is that somekind od doublestandard????

November 17, 2010 at 6:12 pm
(52) v.j. says:

It’s not nice to judge people. Those of us with Rheumatoid Arthritis don’t have any choice. I would love to go back to wearing pretty shoes again. Not an option for me anymore. So wearing socks with sandals in the winter is my only option.

Besides, it’s kind of like “no white shoes after Labor Day.” Why???? Why does anyone care?

April 17, 2011 at 11:30 am
(53) John says:

This is helarious ;)
Dont these fasnionistas have anything else to do then complain over such a small mather ;)
Fashion is a good thing but when u turn into a slave under it and cant go your own way cause some thinks this or that…Then its really helarious ;)

I wear socks with sandals pending on what i am going to do.
And i know what people thinks and i just laugh at them :)
Poor bastards who hasent guts to wear what they like. Instead they press them selves into some form of what others expect them to wear ;)

April 23, 2011 at 8:49 pm
(54) McGinnis says:

I love my sandals. They are by far the most comfortable footwear I have, though I do love my hiking boots as well. Thing is, when the weather gets nice, it’s just so much more comfortable to wear sandals, but if it’s not quite warm enough, I’ll just wear the socks underneath. I really don’t understand people’s problems with this. I can decide for myself if it looks okay or not, thank you very much.

I have to hold in my laughter every time someone makes that shallow remark that I shouldn’t wear socks with sandals. I’ll take off the socks when it’s really hot outside and no sooner. Otherwise, they stay on, and if it annoys the more fashion-conscious people, so be it.

May 13, 2011 at 11:29 pm
(55) Larry says:

I had my toe nails removed and they look very unsightly. Therefore, should I show these gems to the world or just wear socks? I say socks.

October 16, 2011 at 8:47 am
(56) whocares says:

I don’t see why people even care what others wear. It is their life ya know. I personally don’t wear socks with sandals but I see no issue with it.

Think about it. Wearing just sandals and bare feet will make the bottoms of your feet all sweaty and nasty feeling after awhile. Wearing shoes your feet get all sweaty and nasty as well. However, if you add cotton socks with sandals your feet will remain dry and comfortable. The bottom of your feet will sweat yes, but the cotton will wick the sweat to the drier areas of the sock which are exposed to open air and will evaporate. That will result in cooler drier feet.

I say f**k fashion and what others think, do what you want.

April 5, 2012 at 9:08 am
(57) Fred says:

Brilliant. ಠ_ృ

May 5, 2012 at 7:46 am
(58) typografix5 says:

I suffer from an extremely painful condition called peripheral neuropathy. It affect the nerves in my lower extremities, making my feet numb yet extraordinarily sensitive to touch. The only footwear I can tolerate are Crocs (one size too large) worn with diabetic socks. I am so tired of reading and hearing socks with sandals described as a crime against humanity. In my opinion those people should attend to their own lives and leave the rest of us alone.

May 5, 2012 at 3:01 pm
(59) jim says:

In the very first (obvious) place — some peoples’ feet are ugly. Period. So are we supposed to have to look at THAT instead of their socks? Brilliant logic!! Or would you expect/demand them to wear hot leather or canvas shoes when it’s 95 degrees out? Again — brilliant. Sandals with socks is super comfortable. What is the purpose of wearing socks under your shoes? So your feet slide around in the shoes instead of sticking to them. Same exact deal with sandals.

June 2, 2012 at 9:25 pm
(60) Little Boy! says:

I wear socks over my nike sandals all the time, but my dad keeps on telling me, im mental or im too cool. I think it fine, I just don’t my feet being shown to the WHOLE WIDE WORLD

July 13, 2012 at 2:22 pm
(61) burt says:

Seems most agree with the socks. Growing up my dad who was a ww2 era guy would never wear a pair of sandals. so for many years i didnt either. times and fashion change. Mens sandals these days are of wide variety. I own some quality leather sandals. and have no problem exposing my feet. That said when you wear even the best leather they sweat get your feet dirty and I have yet to find a pair where your feet dont stick to the soul. After trying quality cotten socks with good sandals i can say it is extremley comfortable and in fact more hygenic!.I put my personal comfort and care before anyones opinion of how i dress my feet. screw strangers opinions. I say do what feels good!. wear them, or not.Also there are people with back and nerve injuries as well as diabetics with neuropathy who need the comfort and protection.So next time you notice remember that person may need this combination due to health issues.

July 25, 2012 at 9:39 am
(62) Bob says:

OK, summing up so far, the reasons for and against wearing socks with sandals:

Against -
Euwww

??? Seriously? People are affected that much by what other people wear on their feet??? To me, that’s almost a reason for wearing socks: to drive away shallow people!

Beautiful feet that need to be displayed – tats, piercings and other foot jewelry, painted nails …

For
comfort
foot problems
ugly feet that will produce a louder Euww than if socks were worn

So, one possibly good reason against vs. several good reasons for. I think the fors have it, IMO.

August 14, 2012 at 3:31 pm
(63) Jim says:

I like to wear black sandals with black Gold Toe socks.

August 16, 2012 at 10:04 am
(64) Nothing to see here! says:

I wear sandals because wearing socks and closed shoes make my feet sweat like taps, creating an odour that would paralyze Godzilla. All the fashion gestapos out there should mind their own effing business.

August 16, 2012 at 7:12 pm
(65) Jamel says:

socks with sandals are actually very fashionable as stated by vanity fair

August 23, 2012 at 7:38 pm
(66) olivia says:

Sorry guys, but I just can’t imagine dating anyone who would rock sandals with socks. Unless you’re elderly or have a medical condition, it’s just shows that you don’t give a sh*t about presentation, making you look lazy. Especially if you sport them everyday as some of you claim (!?). Comfort is important but it doesn’t have to trump style. Couple that combo with shorts and you’ve created an eyesore.

September 22, 2012 at 9:32 am
(67) Mike says:

I think socks and sandals are tacky on guys and girls period. I have a solution, if you have ugly feet don’t wear sandals. I for one think sandals and flip flips are so tacky anyways. Never owned them and won’t own them. The whole casual look has gone too far, flip flops and jeans, ughhh, ok i have vented .